Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Baby Swanson Update

Well, my doctor's appointment on Friday didn't go well as planned. I haven't, until now, narrowed down a doctor at my OBGYN office. Since my regular one moved out of state a few years ago, I haven't found anyone that I liked. The doctor that saw me wasn't the nicest doctor that I've seen, in fact I have started to refer to her as evil but she has brought a few things to my attention that wasn't any concern of the other doctors that I've seen.

I had to bring a few things with me to this appointment, a week of blood pressure readings and my blood sugar numbers. My blood pressure has been spot on during this pregnancy, and actually it's been exceptional! My sugars on the other hand, according to her, wasn't what she wanted to see. Apparently, my fasting sugars are high and I should only be testing myself one hour after I eat, not two. I had been getting conflicting information from several doctor's regarding this. My fasting sugars are supposed to be under 95 and I was initially told 100 ... evil doctor was right on both things, I found that out yesterday when I attended my diabetic class. Because fasting sugars are out of my control we talked about possible insulin to get it under control. I meet again with my diabetic nurse next week so I'm hoping I can get my numbers where they should be.

While at my doctor's office I took my second trimester blood tests to test for birth defects. I received a call from evil doctor yesterday and she was very pleasant with me on the phone. Based on my age the odds of our baby having downs is 1/250 but based on my cells it's 1/109. She wants me to see a high-risk OBGYN and asked me when we have our level 2 ultrasound scheduled. It's scheduled for next Friday but she is going to try to get us in sooner. Also, there is another blood test that they can perform that will give us better information. So, now it's the waiting game until I get a call back from the office sometime today.

1 comment: