Sunday, October 14, 2012

Baby Allie Update


19 weeks along and feeling a lot more movement, those kicks, of course, are not strong enough for others to feel yet.
 
Gestational diabetes is going as good as it could be. I've lost a lot of weight and according to what I weighed before I was pregnant, I've only gained three pounds. I guess if anyone wants to lose weight they should go on a diabetic diet. My meal plan is as follows:
 
Breakfast: 2-3 carbohydrates and 1 oz of meat or meat substitutes
Morning Snack: 1-2 carbohydrates
Lunch: 2-4 carbohydrates and 3 oz of meat or meat substitutes
Afternoon Snack: 1-2 carbohydrates
Dinner: 3-4 carbohydrates and 3 oz of meat or meat substitutes
Bedtime Snack: 2 carbohydrates and 1oz of meat or meat substitutes
 
1 carbohydrate = 15g of total carbohydrates
 
Free foods are: non-starchy vegetables, 1/2 cup vegetable juice, sugar-free Jello and sugar-free, fat-free condiments.
 
Meat and meat substitutes are: I slice of cheese, 1 egg, 1/2 cup tofu, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup tuna, cooked chicken, turkey, fish, lean beef, pork, lamb or wild game.
 
It's been extremely hard this time around because I was diagnosed early and I've been craving sweets non-stop! Meat is more tolerable this time around but still don't have the stomach for lunch meat.
 
I have to test my blood when I get up in the morning, that's my fasting glucose. My fasting numbers need to be below 95. I then need to test my blood one hour after I start eating, it needs to be below 140. If I forget to test my blood one hour after I eat, then two hours needs to be below 120. 
 
I also need to test my ketone levels in the morning, a ketone test checks for ketones in your blood or urine. Ketones are substances that are made when the body breaks down fat for energy. Normally, your body gets the energy it needs from carbohydrate in your diet. But stored fat is broken down and ketones are made if your diet does not contain enough carbohydrate to supply the body with sugar (glucose) for energy or if your body can't use blood sugar (glucose) properly. When I wake up in the morning I pee in a cup, dip a test strip and it turns a color. The color I want needs to be negative or trace. Since mine have been at the highest reading I needed to make sure I add my protein at night and to drink plenty of water. Over the last week it has been negative.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment