Sunday, May 19, 2013

Bicep Tendonitis

Saturday, coming back from the Swanson's, my left arm started to hurt at the elbow. Sometimes this happens to me on long car trips because my arm was resting on the arm rest for a long period of time. On Mother's Day it moved to my shoulder and then when I woke up Monday morning I couldn't move my arm. I was in incredible pain when I lifted Allie and it hurt worse to change her diaper. My range of motion was limited, I couldn't raise my hand up to touch my nose, comb my hair or even put on a shirt.

I went to the doctor and she diagnosed me with bicep tendonitis. Bicep tendonitis also called bicipital tendonitis, is inflammation in the main tendon that attaches the top of the biceps muscle to the shoulder. The most common cause is overuse from certain types of work or sports activities. Biceps tendonitis may develop gradually from the effects of wear and tear, or it can happen suddenly from a direct injury. The tendon may also become inflamed in response to other problems in the shoulder, such as rotator cuff tears, impingement, or instability.

My doctor thinks I have been over-working my left arm with carrying the carrier and Allie that when my arm rested the inflammation settled in. She gave me some pain medication and then recommended physical therapy. Thankfully, my arm got better as the week went on and I haven't had to schedule physical therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment