Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Just Say No

There comes a time in everyone's life where you receive a wake-up call, mine was recently. Being the Wellness and Safety Manager, I always preach to our employees about being healthy. Do I always practice what I preach, heck no! It seems like I am busy taking care of everyone else but my own health.

My wake-up call happened one afternoon when I received our annual biometric screening results. My fasting sugars, sky high and my A1C also not in range. Now, diabetes runs my family on both my mom and dad sides. Plus, I've been diagnosed twice with gestational diabetes, which means I will get diabetes in my life. I went to my doctor to have her run more blood work and come to find out, my biometric screening results were right.

I know I need to take control but I so love all those naughty things with sugar ... give me a Mountain Dew and some sweet tarts and I'm a happy girl!

I did the drastic thing and stopped drinking pop, completely cut it out. I've been trying to drink half of my body weight in ounces of water, a couple cups of milk and usually some tea twice a week. I'm on week three ... the results ... 10lb weight loss! That's right, 10lbs! It's not like I didn't know what was going to happen, I tell employees all the time to cut out the sugar but I'm pretty proud of myself ... yeah me! I've also cut out most of my sweets and have been eating a lot better than what we have been.

I have a doctor's appointment scheduled within the next few weeks to talk about the next steps. I'm trying to control it with diet and not have to be on any medication. This is the first time in a long time I actually feel good, I'm not so tired anymore and I have a lot of energy ... plus I am feeling good about myself again!

No comments:

Post a Comment